When we hear the word Idli, the popular south indian snack, what generally comes to our mind ?
The soft, white round shaped snack made out of rice batter. Right ?
But the one which I am going to write down now is something with the same look but with a different identity. My Crunchy Tawa Bread Idli just takes 20 mins to prepare and can be accompanied by sweet raita.
Here goes the recipe –
- 6 bread slices white / wholegrain / brown (your preference)
- 4 medium sized boiled potatoes
- 2 chopped green chillies
- Finely chopped ginger.
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup thick curd preferably sour
- Cumin Powder
- Red Chilli Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Oil to grease
- Grated carrots / fried curry leaves / fried mustard seeds for garnishing (Here I used grated carrots)
Firstly, take bread slices and cut them in round shape. For easy cutting, take a small round bowl, place it inverted over bread and cut the sides. Now keep them aside.
Take a bowl now and mash the boiled potatoes.
- Add chopped chilli, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Add 1/2 spoon cumin powder,1/2 spoon coriander powder,1/2 spoon red chill powder.
Add salt to taste .
Now mix them properly.
In another medium sized bowl, take the curd, add 1/2 spoon of chilli powder and make a thick mixture.
- Take a bread slice and spread the potato mixture on one side of it.
Put the burner in low flame, brush the tawa with oil and put the slice with the potato side. Now on the other side spread the curd mix and cover them.
- After 3/4 minutes, you will find that the bread has swelled up a little and looks like idli.
- Now place them on the plate, spread grated carrot / fried curry leaves / fried mustard seeds on top and serve them with sweet raita.
So here goes the Crunchy Tawa Bread Idli, with softness on one side and crunchiness on the other.
Let me know in comments about how much you enjoyed making this dish ,with what you have served or any other things you want to share with us.