The one which I made today is my maternal grandma’s recipe. This dish is very well known in Medinipur, West Bengal,India. A simple healthy recipe which you can accompany as a side dish any-day.
Here goes the recipe –
- 4 sweet potatoes fully chopped
- Dried lentil dumpling (Bori in bengali)
- 2 medium sized chopped radish
- 2 chopped green chillies
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Turmeric Powder
- Red Chilli Powder
- Tamarind paste
- Panch phoran / five spices (Cumin, Brown Mustard, Fenugreek, Nigella and Fennel seeds)
- Oil to grease
Heat the pan in medium flame, add oil.
- After the oil is heated up, fry dried lentil dumpling for 1 minute and keep them aside.
- Now with the rest oil, add panch phoran to it.
- Now add chopped radish and sweet potatoes and fry them for 5 minutes.
Add salt and turmeric powder to taste .
- Stir well and after 5 minutes pour some water, cover the pan and leave them to get boiled for 5/7 minutes.
- Now open the lid, mix tamarind paste, sugar and fried dried lentil dumpling.
Stir them properly for another 1 minute and wait for the water to dry up.
- And here goes your tangy sweet potato chutney. Serve it once it gets cool down.
You can add okra/ladies’ finger, brinjal also to this. I am allergic to both of them, so I generally avoid.Let me know your feedback in comments.