Spine gourd aka kantola or kakrol closely resembles to bitter gourd in appearance but differs in taste. It grows in many parts of India and is a seasonal crop which comes only during the summer.
Today I am going to show you a simple preparation of stuffed and deep fried spine gourd fritters made in 15/20 minutes and can be eaten as a side dish or as a snack with tea/coffee/puffed rice .
Besides it got many health benefits too. It helps in keeping digestive system healthy and being rich in vitamins,it is also good for skin and eyes. It helps in cleanse of kidney and also protects from cancer.
10 spine gourd
salt as per taste
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
Chopped green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain/carom seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seed
- Refined oil for deep frying
- Water as required
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Groundnut (optional)
Method ( 4 easy steps )
- First take the gourd and cut it into two halves. Scoop out the inside of the gourd with the seeds carefully with a spoon and keep in a bowl without breaking the outer skin crust.
- In another bowl, add the chickpea flour, 1/2 teaspoon red Chilli powder,salt as required,ajwain seed,black cumin seed and make a semi thin batter using enough water. Keep aside.
- Now let’s make the stuff. Add chopped ginger garlic,onion,scoop of gourd , groundnut, salt, red Chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder, scrambled egg (optional) , groundnut (optional) and mix well in a bowl.Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and stir this mix for 5/7 minutes.The stuffing is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Now take the scooped out spine gourd and stuff it with the above mixture. Then coat in the chikpea batter and slowly fry in hot oil on medium flame until golden brown.
Serve hot with evening tea/coffee or puffer rice and let me know how much you loved it in comments.